photography by everett bouwer
words by russell markus
After returning from World War II, my grandfather came back to Brooklyn, married his high school sweetheart, and took a job with his brothers selling tomatoes. He told me stories when I was growing up about how there was a rating system. A through D depending on the restaurant or storefront. Peter Lugers, on the other hand, always got the A+ tomatoes.
All that said, growing up, I never really liked tomatoes. You would get them from a big-box grocery store. They all looked the same and tastes like nothing. It wasn’t until I had been staying with my Uncle, and he gave me a few heirlooms that his business partner had grown. It got me hooked.
……..Heirloom Tomato Salad
With A Roasted Herbs And CBD
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
This dish is a simple one, reflective of my past and respective of the unique, juicy and vibrant plants grown the way they were supposed to be grown.
4 Heirloom tomatoes, cut into large pieces
1 Bunch fresh sage leaves separated
1 Bunch fresh thyme, de-stemmed
1 Bunch fresh rosemary, de-stemmed
⅓ cup olive oil + 2 tablespoons
2 pinches sea salt
1 tablespoon CBD olive oil
½ cup 0% fat Greek yogurt (feel free to substitute with alternative yogurts)
1 heaping tablespoon honey
1) Preheat oven to 300 F.
2) In a small bowl combine all the herbs, ⅓ cup olive oil, and sea salt.
3) Lay herbs out on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
4) Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until browned.
5) Remove from the baking sheet and put it in a mixing bowl.
6) Add remaining olive oil, and CBD olive oil, and break herbs apart using your hands. Add tomatoes to bowls with herbs and mix together gently.
7) For platting put tomatoes down, then top with dollops of yogurt, and drizzle with honey.