There’s nothing we are more gratifying than being able to enjoy a meal with friends and family. Healthy plates that have us feeling satiated and uplifted.
The inspiration behind cooking with hemp hearts came out of a desire to show the diversity of the hemp plant. We didn’t have to only talk about THC, CBD or even cannabinoids - we should have a dialog about ingredients readily available in most grocery stores.
Vegan Hemp Heart Risotto
W/ Mashed Avocado, Charred Meyer Lemon & CBD Olive Oil
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
The play on risotto was a take on a dish that normally makes you want to pass out after, and instead, creating a filling dish that provides you with energy. A dish to help you feel alive!
These little hearts are packed with protein and healthy fats + High in magnesium, potassium and vitamin C.
½ cup olive oil + 2 tablespoons + for drizzling
1 tsp sea salt + for seasoning
3 garlic cloves, rough dice
1 ½ bunches fresh thyme, de-stemmed
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 medium yellow onions, medium dice (3 cups total)
2 large shallots, small dice
2 cups hulled hemp seeds
2 cups vegetable stock (salted)
1 small bunch fresh chives, thinly sliced (About ⅓ cup)
4 whole ripe avocados, peeled and mashed
2 Meyer lemons, halved, de-seeded
1 tablespoon CBD Olive Oil
1) In a medium-sized cast iron pot, heat up 2 tablespoons oil over high heat, once smoking add lemons face down. Pan roast and let caramelize. Approximately 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2) In the same medium-sized cast iron pot, heat up ½ cup olive oil over high heat, then add salt, thyme, and oregano.
3) With a wooden spoon saute garlic, herbs until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
4) Add onions and shallots to the same pot. Saute until slightly caramelized, approximately 8 minutes. Move mixture around frequently, to make sure to use keep herbs from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
5) Next, add hemp seeds + slight drizzle of olive oil. Toast for approximately 3 minutes.
6) Next, add the veggie stock. Turn heat on high, cook until liquid has evaporated making sure to mix frequently. Approximately 15 minutes.
7) Right before you’re ready to serve, layer mashed avocado to bottom of serving dish.
8) Then top avocado with risotto, season with salt, and placed charred lemons on top. Top lemons with CBD olive oil.
9) Make sure to share with your guests to squeeze the lemon + CBD oil over the risotto before taking their first bite.